The Biomechanical Environments Laboratory Undergraduate Research Program (BMEL-UGRP)
A program designed for undergraduates who want a serious research experience.
The program is intended to provide a structured environment that will help you:
- Gauge your interest in research as a career
- Develop skills in engineering
- Gain experience in relevant engineering disciplines
- Prepare for a graduate degree in research at the MS or PhD level
- Prepare for a career in biomedical research
Undergraduates in the program (BMEL scholars) are typically mentored by a graduate student and work on projects ranging from cell culture to blast induced brain injury. Undergraduates have worked on most of the projects in the lab.
- Scholars must complete the online application
- Scholars will be invited to a semi-formal interview
- Generally research spots are available at the beginning of every semester; fall, spring, and summer.
Once admitted into the program,
- Scholars will enroll in 2-3 credit hours of research (491) for a letter grade OR be involved in an external program (USRG, ARS, ROE, URS, REU, etc…)
- Students will spend a minimum of 6 hours per week in the lab on average, plus meetings and whatever time is required to complete assignments outside the lab.
- Scholars will attend weekly lab meetings
- Scholars will have weekly meetings with their graduate mentor with a weekly literature review assignment
- Scholars will complete an end of semester project (one of the following):
- Conference-style presentation to the lab group
- Student Research Week presentation
- Explorations journal submission (1st author or second)
- Journal submission
- Conference presentation
- Other approved publication or presentation
- Scholars will be given an end of semester review
Some scholars may be invited to return to the lab after a semester in the program. This may or may not be as part of this program.
2017 Application Deadlines:
|Summer, and Fall (round 1):||Monday, May 1|
|Fall (round 2):||Sunday, August 20
|Spring (round 3):||Sunday, December 4|